The Field Marshal of Bellefonds, an illustrious
ancestor, was one of Louis the XIV’s (the Sun King) most trusted
companions. As a member of the Court of Versailles, he commissioned
a grand town house in
the center of Versailles by the architect Mansart, who later designed
the magnificent Château de Versailles for the King.
When the Maréchal retired to his estate Isle-Marie
in Normandy, his birth region, extensive building works were started
and the façade
of his private chapel was again designed by Mansart in a fine italianate
In the first days of the liberation
in June 1944,
the delicately carved stone interior was entirely
but the superb façade escaped virtually undamaged.
When enough funds have been raised the elegant facade and the nowadays bare, but impressive interior will be thoroughly restored so the chapel may once again be a place of worship.